The VET-ification of Online Gaming through innovative challenge based learning
EU-Programme: Erasmus+, KA2, Strategic Partnerships for VET
Coordination: Association de Gestion des Fonds Européens (France)
Duration: March 2020 – February 2023
CASINO proposes the development of a compendium of innovative challenge-based learning games presented for use specifically on smartphones and tablets, the devices of choice of NEET target groups. This will include the design and development of Digital Breakouts and Online Escape Rooms with all the features of successful mobile games but with a series of embedded-learning layers to develop key transversal skills like literacy, numeracy, critical thinking, problem solving, etc. On successful completion of each challenge, the learner/gamer will attract a badge of merit/achievement which will be benchmarked against recognised learning outcomes in the key competence frameworks. In this way, a skills portfolio will be automatically attributed to each gamer who completes one or more of the bespoke resources designed. This will enable even the most reluctant learner to develop the first steps of an educational journey to continuous vocational education and training.
The main objectives of the CASINO project are:
– to motivate and inspire young digital natives on the margins of society and economy to engage with vocational education and training through interaction with specially constructed embedded-learning challenge-based resources
– to build core competencies essential for either a return to education or integration into the workforce
– to build the self-confidence and self-esteem of marginalized digital native adults in an immediate and demonstrable way
– to enforce the perception within the target group that they already have relevant and appropriate competences regardless of their prior educational experience and to help them to build a competence portfolio
– to point them on the road to a sustainable engagement with VET counselling services in their local area
The main project outputs to achieve the agreed aims and objectives will include:
IO1. A compendium of Digital Breakouts and Online Escape Room Challenges that support the acquisition of the following competences:
– literacy and alphabetization through text comprehension;
– numerical reasoning and understanding through mathematical computation;
– critical and creative thinking through problem solving;
– a sense of initiative through logical and spatial thinking;
– learning to learn through information retention and memory development;
– digital and technology-based competence through basic coding exercises.
IO2. In-service training will be provided for VET tutors to support them to use the new embedded-learning challenge-based resources but also to build their own technical skills to enable them to develop their own digital breakouts and online educational escape rooms.
IO3. An Online Game CASINO that essentially functions as a MOOC will be developed to host the digital breakouts and online educational escape rooms but also to support ‘gamers’ to develop their own skills portfolio which will be directly linked to their gaming performance.
Project Nº 2020-1-FR01-KA226-VET-094951
This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. This publication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.