Supporting the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals in small and medium sized enterprises through VET
EU-Programme: Erasmus+ Erasmus+, KA2, Strategic Partnerships for VET
Coordination: INFODEF SL (Spain)
Duration: September 2020 – August 2023
In 2015, all the Members from the United Nations signed an agreement to implement the 2030 Agenda. The Agenda included 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) to be reached by 2030 and a ‘call on all businesses to apply their creativity and innovation to solving sustainable development challenges.’
Despite the growing interest from businesses in sustainable innovation, the SDGs are largely new territory for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs). Nevertheless, as it has been recognized by the European Commission, the SDG can only be achieved if countries manage to build up supporting systems for SMEs, including the provision of capacity building programmes addressed to them.
SME Green Skills HUB project is a European multi-stakeholder partnership and a learning network between SMEs, sectoral clusters, regional governments, HEI, and VET providers from five European countries, Spain, Ireland, Portugal, Turkey and Italy. They have worked together to identify common needs and challenges and key areas of intervention in order to achieve the main AIM of the project: support the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals in SMEs through VET.
Based on this analysis, the partners have set the following objectives for the project:
– To co-define a structured set of competencies on implementing the SDGs in SMEs following ECVET and EU standard methods: the IO1 European Framework of Competencies.
– To co-design, test and implement a next-generation ICT-based educative tool to provide OER, including training contents and VOOC, on implementing the SDGs in SMEs through VET: the IO2 SME Green Skills HUB Virtual Campus
– To co-create, test and implement a digital assessment tool to evaluate competences on the implementation of the SDGs in SMEs through VET: the IO3 Mobile Assessment App.
– To elaborate a policy set of recommendations to promote transparency and recognition of skills on the topic of the project: the IO4 Guidelines to promote transparency and recognition of skills to implement SDGs in SMEs.
– To establish a European multi-stakeholder community of practice on supporting the implementation of the SDGs in SMEs and the further development of green skills in SMEs staff: the SME Green Skills HUB.
The project will also apply the following Innovative Training Approaches And Pedagogies for work-place learning in SMEs:
– Next-Generation Training Solutions, which have a modern User Interface (UI) for the learner; offers high-level interactions; promotes social, active learning; enables high- resolution formative assessment; enables personalized experiences; offers mobile compatibility.
– Gamification, to integrate principles of play and positive competition into employee training to create a training experience that holds the employee’s attention and motivates them.
– Innovative Work-Based Learning Approaches, to increase the extent to which work is learning-rich within the workplace, including encouraging people to reflect on their experience; peer guidance by other workers; demonstration and practice; simulation; and problem solving; all these techniques can be integrated with the normal cycle of work and production.
Project Nº 2020-1-ES01-KA202-083065
This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. This publication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.